[plug] warning - cover your ears: can I get a full windoze install dvd from a recovery partition?

Gavin Chester gavin.chester at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 14:29:54 WST 2012

It seems sacrilegious to ask this here, I know, but hear me out ;-)

I want to know if anyone has experience and pointers on how can I get a
full windoze install on dvd from a recovery partition (and or the
original install)?  I've read of making recovery partitions into
recovery discs, but don't think this will do the full kitchen sink
effect that I want after blitzing windoze to the weeds on it's original
partition.

I bought a laptop recently with the inevitable windoze tax preinstalled
and set it up dual booting my distro of choice, as you do, fighting my
usual method of completely blitzing windoze away never to darken my
doorstep again. However, I also hate to throw out something that I've
paid for so am reluctant to get rid of it this time around.

Thing is, I'd rather run it as a vm using virtualbox for those few times
I must use a package that is windoze only. Can I:
1/ point virtualbox to that existing win7 install and instead run it as
a vm on it's separate partition as it is now?
2/ make a full installation dvd of that windoze install to then wipe it
and reinstall in a vm under Linux?

Any ideas?

Gavin