[plug] WA Govenment iPads for year 1 and 2 students

David Dartnall darts at dialix.com.au
Wed Feb 22 21:40:16 WST 2012

On 02/22/2012 06:10 PM, Brad Campbell wrote:
> On 22/02/12 09:48, Tim White wrote:
>> On 22/02/12 09:55, wdk at moriah wrote:
>>> You can - cups is apple software in part at least, basically I just
>>> turned the function on ... Printer is on a gentoo box.
>>>
>>> BillK
>>>
>> Do tell us more. Can we easily print from ipads/iphones to cups
>> servers? Last time I looked into this, it wasn't very easy, or
>> possible for un-jailbroken devices.
>> I see a lot of eprinter style services now days, where you email it
>> to a service that sends it to your printer (ether wirelessly as in a
>> HP Eprinter, or via a connected computer in eprinter.com style).
>
> I don't know what other peoples experience in, but the second we
> connected our iPad to the system at home it detected all CUPS exported
> printers and just works with all of them.
>
> Same with recent Macs.
>
> Our printers are all connected to a debian server or an ubuntu
> workstation. No special config required.

Printing does not seem to be easy without a wireless enabled printer.
Can it be done with the usb connector supplied with the ipad? No
wireless capability on my printer!

On the main topic of this thread, I'm not an Apple fan but the family
bought me an ipad 1 and I'd like to make it as useful as possible - as
far as I'm concerned it's a very expensive toy, good for entertainment
but totally unsuitable for serious classroom work.

Regards
Dave Dartnall