[plug] server room visit

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Mon Jan 2 22:11:50 WST 2012

On 2/01/2012 9:55 PM, Alastair Irvine wrote:
> On Wed, 03 August, 2011 at 04:39:20PM +0800, Onno Benschop wrote:
>> I find that racks create a cleaner and more organised environment if, and
>> only if, you keep up your maintenance. Having little "helpers" unplug and
>> re-plug and move patch leads takes about 30 seconds to shatter weeks of
>> planning.
>>
>> What I'm trying to say is that no matter what solution you choose, it will
>> only work if there is a system to maintain the system. For me and my
>> clients, I colour-code patch leads, have velcro straps, and documentation to
>> match. Little "helpers" have their fingers removed verbally.
> Hi, Onno.  Can you recommend a supplier of such cables and accessories?

I've been happy in the past with a Brady labeller - the IdXpert with
self-laminating labels. Both ends of the cable printed with the *same*
label indicating what its plugged into on *both* ends, and a healthy
approach to printing correct labels when you change things. Around $400
on Amazon US
(http://www.amazon.com/Brady-XPERT-ABC-IDXPERT-Character-Handheld/dp/B000LDEC4Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325513324&sr=8-1).

I've found the labels have stayed attached regardless of cold colo
server room temperature, or hot fans blowing on to it, over a number of
years. They're notcheap, but they're good.

  James
--
/Mobile:/ +61 422 166 708, /Email:/ james_AT_rcpt.to
PLUG President 2011: http://www.plug.org.au <http//www.plug.org.au>