[plug] re; bad block on disk

JonL jonl711 at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 6 08:34:14 WST 2012

Morning all,

I have a problem on a drive in my main server and now the server does not boot up.  The drive has a bad block and i was wondering if there are any tools I can run to move this block.
What I've done so far:
I've run reiserfsck to check the drive partition, its a reiserfs file system (reiserfsch -CV /dev/sda2;
I've run the SuSE installation and selected repair system to try to fix the drive.
I've done all the steps up to step 5 on the following document (http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/badblockhowto.html#reiserfs_ex); for some reason it keeps stating that it has a bad starting block.

I wanted to know if possible can I run the Seagate drive utility from initial boot up or is this not recommended.

Regards,

Jon