[plug] re; bad block on disk

Andrew Cooks acooks at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 10:30:30 WST 2012

Here's 8 steps I would take.

1. Add a working drive with sufficient free space to store everything
on the failing drive. Use a drive with enough space for two copies if
you can - one to try recovery tools on and a backup for when both the
recovery tool and the drive fail catastrophically.
2. Boot from a livecd of some sort and note the new device names. I'll
assume the bad drive is called /dev/sdb and a data partition called
/dev/sdb1 exists.
3. Mount the working drive under /mnt.
4. Use 'dd' to copy each partition that you need to recover to a new
file in /mnt/, using something like:
    dd if=/dev/sdb1 of=/mnt/recover_sdb1 conv=noerror bs=1024k
5. make another copy if you have space.
6. While dd is running, read the reiserfsck man page again.
7. When dd is done, run reiserfsck on one of the new files.
8. Post progress, experience or questions to plug.

Good luck.