[plug] re; bad block on disk

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Wed Jun 6 11:45:38 WST 2012

On 06/06/12 10:30, Andrew Cooks wrote:

>      dd if=/dev/sdb1 of=/mnt/recover_sdb1 conv=noerror bs=1024k

I tried this recently and got burned. the conv=noerror means it won't
abort on an error, but it also won't write the entire block to the
output stream. It will only write out what it managed to read. This
leaves the remainder of your filesystem mis-aligned and badly broken.

I had to add conv=sync to make dd pad the unread part.

These days I mostly use dd_rescue, but this was on OSX and I did not
have it handy.

Brad