[plug] Small business software in Linux

Daniel Hartwig mandyke at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 23:20:02 WST 2012

On 7 June 2012 21:43, Marcos Raul Carot Collins <marcos.carot at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am looking for software for Linux, ideally client-server, but not
> necesarily, and also ideally free, but willing to pay if the price is
> reasonable that would do general acounting (including Australian taxes),
> payroll (also including Australian requirements), stock, invoicing...

You will find many technically excellent options available:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_accounting_software#Free_and_open_source_software

OpenERP, Tryton, LedgerSMB, … can easily handle Australian
requirements.  Some need more set up than others, but are fine once
you get them going.  They come with many features but are modular, so
you can turn off anything you don't use to keep it simple.

OpenERP (and others perhaps) has an Australian chart of accounts that
you can use to quickly get started:

http://doc.openerp.com/v5.0/technical_guide/l10n_chart_au.html

All libre software, no cost unless you need someone to help with
evaluating and setup.

Gnucash is also a very nice package which I use for my personal
finances, but is not client-server and does not handle inventory.
Easily set this up for GST accounting and found the various reports
quite hackable (for a schemer :-).  It has payroll but I have never
used that.