[plug] Domain name hosting / registration

Tim weirdit at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 16:47:04 WST 2012

On 21 June 2012 14:36, Alexander Hartner <alex at j2anywhere.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a couple of domains registered with 1and1. However it seems that for the past months their service level has deteriorated quite a bit. However they offer me the ability to host the primary DNS record on my own server and run the secondary server for me. Are there any local service providers which offer the same functionality.

I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for. But it sounds like they
are your domain registrar, and also host secondary name servers for
you? Do you have to pay for the secondary name servers?
Just about all domain registrar's let you host your own domain
servers, however most would charge to provide seconding. When i was
looking for domain name secondary servers, we actually started a small
wiki of people who would second for others. The best solution I've
found is buddyns, free (although they ask for a donation), although a
few other services do exist on the net that do seconding for free.

However, if the issue you have is that fact you need 2 name servers,
you can actually point them both to the same location. If all the
services that DNS answer for, are on the same machine as the DNS
master, then it makes little difference having a backup NS except for
load balancing. (Because when your server is down, the DNS is down but
so are the services the DNS points to).

You can always ask for people on the list who may be able to provide
you with a seconding name server, many people have servers available.
(Which was the whole point of the wiki we started)

Tim
--
Timothy White - Somewhere in Australia