[plug] Domain name hosting / registration

Tim weirdit at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 18:35:29 WST 2012

On 21 June 2012 17:16, Andrew Cooks <acooks at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmmm...tell me if I'm wrong, but iirc it makes a difference for email.
>
> If your domain disappears completely, then any email you receive may
> return an immediate, "non-existent domain" type of error to the
> sender, whereas an unreachable MX usually results a retry (which
> hopefully succeeds eventually). Whether you want people to know
> immediately that there is a problem so that they can use another
> channel, or whether you want to avoid receiving tens of phone calls
> from confused or irate people is up to you.

True. That is one case it does matter that I hadn't remembered. You'd
hope it would still fail with a domain timeout temporary error though,
not 100% what MTA's do in that instance by default.

Anyway, if you need secondary DNS, hopefully we've given you enough
pointers now.

Tim

--
Timothy White - Somewhere in Australia