[plug] Immovable panel! [OT]

Andrew Furey andrew.furey at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 16:49:14 WST 2012

On 21 March 2012 16:04, David Dartnall <darts at dialix.com.au> wrote:
> At boot-up when the BIOS notification screen appears, and prior to the
> NVIDIA screen, a black & white panel (117mm w x 34mm h with black bar on
> top, named "VOLUME", a loudspeaker icon below and a horizontal volume
> indicator bar having left & right arrows at it's ends and the number
> "100" below that again) appears in the centre of the screen on my
> computer.
>
> It seems to have no relation to the OS - appears when XP or Oeniric are
> booted as well as the Mint Helena that I'm using as my main system and I
> can't get rid of it. It's here now, as I type, always overlays any
> window. It won't drag -  the cursor disappears behind it anyway...

Wondering if there's a loose/stuck connection (speakers, keyboard mute
button, etc) such that it thinks it's always toggling (and displaying
the helpful info box)?

Andrew

--
Linux supports the notion of a command line or a shell for the same
reason that only children read books with only pictures in them.