[plug] Bridging Interfaces in Ubuntu

Leon Wright techman83 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 15:42:44 WST 2012

Hi All,

I'm having a case of the fridays with Bridging in Ubuntu. I know I've
done it before, but for the life of me, I can't get the blasted thing
working.

We have a basic ubuntu 10.04 server box in our dev network acting as a
router, due to some funkyness in VMware land and get a physical
interface into the dev port group, I figured it would be easiest just
to bridge.

Which essentially went like:

ip addr flush dev <interface 1>
ip addr flush dev <interface 2>
brctl addbr <bridge name>
ip link set dev <bridge name> up

For the life of me, I can only get a ping response on one of the
interfaces. I can drop either interface and get a response from the
interface left in the bridge, but when I put both interfaces in, only
the interface with the lower eth# works.

What on earth am I doing wrong! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Leon

--
DRM 'manages access' in the same way that jail 'manages freedom.'

# cat /dev/mem | strings | grep -i cats
Damn, my RAM is full of cats... MEOW!!