[plug] Domain redirection solution?

Tim White weirdit at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 20:27:21 WST 2012

Ideally, you want web redirects to happen on your final destination
webserver for most things.

Think for example, when you try to ssh example.com, and instead of
getting your webserver, you get zoneedits redirection server. This is a
big pain to me, and for this reason recently migrated all our web
redirects from zoneedit to our own web server.

I did a fairly simple setup with Nginx (which allows wildcard hostnames,
and is super lightweight in memory usage) to put in our web redirects,
as some of the redirects couldn't be done on the destination servers
(i.e. the exchange webmail).

As Shaun already pointed out, wildcards can be your friend. My
suggestion though would be avoid the wildcards in DNS, and have a Nginx
web server serving your redirects (using wildcards where possible). If
you really need the GUI functionality then throw together a simple php
script that just modifies Nginx config files. Using
/etc/nginx/sites-enabled/ style config files, each redirect can have
it's own file, each redirect essentially becomes a virtual server which
is then a very quick hash lookup in Nginx to find the virtual server,
and then a redirect to the final destination.

Hope that helps you.

Tim