[plug] Frustration

Leon Wright techman83 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 13:20:04 WST 2012

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Lyndon Maydwell <maydwell at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I wonder if I can install xmonad in OSX ??
>
> You can, but obviously only under X11 on OSX. It's not really worth it.
>
> On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 12:45 PM, Brad Campbell <brad at fnarfbargle.com>
> wrote:
> > Sometimes I wonder why I stick with Linux....
> >
> > I have a 2011 iMac. It has a Radeon card in it. The machine has two
> external
> > display ports.
> >
> > When I bought the machine, I bought a 27" cinema display with it and also
> > connected up my old 24" DVI monitor.
> >
> > I spent 3 days hacking the kernel radeon driver to try and figure out
> why it
> > refused to drive the cinema display over the thunderbolt port.

I really want to support AMD + Radeon, but between buggy Linux drivers and
buggy windows drivers (I am a gamer, so dual booting is the path of least
resistance when I'm time restricted), I just can't bring myself to buy one.
I hate that the Nvidia card requires a binary blob, but it's a blob that
has worked pretty well for me, for quite some time on both Linux + Windows.

You're probably adding an extra niche problem with the Mac/Thunderbolt port
combo as well, although I can't comment specifically on how much that
differs from DVI ports x config wise as Apple doesn't get to see my money
(at least in any way I control :P).

Leon