[plug] Frustration

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Fri Sep 7 14:49:09 WST 2012

On 07/09/12 14:15, Jason Nicholls wrote:
>  I also had the previous generation mini (Core 2
> Duo) but it was maxed out with 2-cores and 8GB of RAM, good at the time
> but this is better :)

Mine was originally a Core Duo. I upgraded it to a Core 2 but the
supporting chipset was limited to 2GB. Frankly I'm surprised I managed
to make it last 5 years with only 2GB of ram, but the 512GB SSD helped!

It's now on my mothers desk running OSX 10.6 and she's happy with it, so
it's not dead yet.

My co-lo in the UK was running an original core solo until late last
year when the HDD turned up its toes.

I must say though, this little i7 screams along. I'm still running my
original ubuntu install from 2006. I upgraded from 6.06 to 8.04 and then
to 10.04, then jumped to a new machine. The OS is still 32 bit, but
running a 64 bit kernel. The only time I tend to smash into the ~3G
process limit is with Gimp.