[plug] Frustration

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Fri Sep 7 17:37:06 WST 2012

On 07/09/12 15:19, Leon Wright wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 2:54 PM, Shanon Loughton <autobot at iinet.net.au
> <mailto:autobot at iinet.net.au>> wrote:
>
>     That would be because of Intel's open source graphics efforts for
>     their Intel Mesa Gallium-based Driver.  The effort is awesome, world
>     leading and really shaking things up in Nvidia camps.  No idea where
>     AMD is...
>

> Apart from the initial hiccup when Ubuntu first introduced the Intel's
> OSS driver, Intel Graphics have always resided in the "Just Works" camp.

Unless they are on a board that has a secondary card, in which case you
are SOL trying to figure out how to switch between them or make them
work together.

I think they saw the writing on the wall when AMD was posturing towards
buying ATI and decided they had to get with the program with a useful
igp before they were run over.

Intel are no opensource angels however, they just throw the resources
where they know they need them. Plenty of people working on the wireless
and graphics drivers.

Try finding any information to write a useful driver for any of their
"thunderbolt" hardware. Not so much as a datasheet.

The new AMD fusion stuff is great on a cost vs performance basis. AMD
just need to get their heads out of their backsides and provide some
documentation and support for their drivers.