[plug] PLUG: Talk on IPv6 in March

Adrian Woodley Adrian at Diskworld.com.au
Thu Apr 4 07:19:07 UTC 2013

My understanding is that iiNet's ADSL hardware lacks IPv6 support.

Internode are still using the PPPoE model, which transports the PPP
session back to a BBA/BRAS in the core network. The BBA/BRAS handles
IPv6 over PPP, and all the DSLAM hardware sees is a stream of ethernet
packets.

iiNet's IPoDSL relies on the DSLAM hardware to hand out IP addresses to
clients, from within the exchange. This hardware doesn't yet have IPv6
support, hence the need to use 6RD.

I'm not intimately familiar with iiNet's current deployment, but it may
be possible to drop an IPv6 router into each exchange which is able to
hand out IPv6 prefixes to clients, over DSL. This model hasn't been
deployed in Australia yet, so would be new to both iiNet and Internode.
I'm not sure if they're even looking into it at this stage or not.

Personally, I'd like to see them deploy a proper IPv6 Broker service.
This could allow the static assignment of prefixes to individual
accounts, removing the problem of network prefixes changing as IPv4
addresses change (on re-connection). Unfortunately, this would be a more
complex solution from a CPE perspective, although there exist good
tunnel clients for all the major OSs. As far as over-heads are
concerned, the packet structure is the same and the hardware
infrastructure would be very similar, so performance is likely to be
comparable to the existing 6RD service. Again, I don't believe they're
actually looking into this yet.

Adrian