[plug] iPads in WA schools

Michael Van Delft michael at hybr.id.au
Wed Apr 10 03:28:56 UTC 2013

<snip>
Wonder of it's possible to find out who the "they" are and ask for
"their" response.
Might be interesting...
</snip>

I’m not sure if that was directed at me, but the “Who” would be
Lockridge Senior High School, in particular at the time the head of
science was one of the ones pushing for iPads. To his credit he did
not care about the technology, He was/is an educator whose goal was to
engage kids, impart knowledge and find new more effective ways of
teaching, while I came across as a bit of a stick in the mud saying
“No” all the time.

As for their response, I still keep in touch with the new sysadmin and
I’ll ask him, although last time I talked to him, he seemed to be
enjoying it. As others have pointed out they are easy to manage and
easy for kids to use. As long as you’re happy playing by Apple’s rules
the devices are great, the problems only come when you want to break
out of the Apple lock in and do something that that hasn’t been
blessed by them.