[plug] mailing lists and DKIM

Adrian Woodley Adrian at Diskworld.com.au
Wed Apr 24 10:29:58 UTC 2013

G'day PLUG,

I run a small not-for-profit ISP (bfb.asn.au) for my volunteer fire
brigade, which offers Internet services (namely DNS, email and web
hosting) for other volunteer fire brigades. One of the popular services
is mailing lists, which use mailman.

Recently gmail started bouncing mail from the server, which has prompted
me to implement DKIM. This works really well for mail originating from
bfb.asn.au and it's sub-domains, but I'm a little unsure about how I
should handing the mailing list.

As far as I can tell, there are two options:

1) prevent mailman from modifying any of the DKIM signed headers. This
would include the From, Reply-to and Subject headers, which would
prevent the mailing list from easily identifying itself (rather than
email being from the original sender).

2) remove all DKIM signing, re-write the From header to be from the
mailing list and re-sign the email upon transmission. This would make it
potentially more difficult to identify who sent the email originally.

Any thoughts on what the best practise is here?

Cheers,

Adrian