[plug] Current state / method / best programs to backup home desktop Ubuntu 13.04

Gregory Orange home at oranges.id.au
Tue Aug 13 01:39:09 UTC 2013

On 12 August 2013 12:20, Brad Campbell <brad at fnarfbargle.com> wrote:
> On 12/08/13 11:19, Shanon Loughton wrote:
>> Whats the easiest method for first backup / create sparse incremental
>> schedule (maybe quarterly, or started manually).  I tried Deja Dup but
>
> I use rsync on a nightly basis to give me 60 days of complete rotating
> backups. My system is a home-brewed piece of nasty python code, but I
> believe rsnapshot would do the same job in a much nicer way.

I was going to mention my rdiff-backup based solution similar to
Brad's, but you said 'easiest' so I held off (: It's pretty
straightforward, but there is a bit of shell scripting to make it
behave the way I want. I also rotate between two USB backup disks and
take one to the office for a level of unplugged, offsite backup.

I guess it's the sysadmin tradeoff - more work to setup, very low
effort to operate and maintain. I detest the other way around (or at
least the 'more work to operate and maintain' part).

--
Gregory Orange