[plug] linux tablets

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Feb 15 08:28:13 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 04:59:10PM +0800, Milan Pospisil wrote:
>              Is anyone using a tablet with Linux operating system? I mean a
> scaled down or full version of Linux, not necessarily Android.
> If yes, could you share your experience and also if you would know where to
> get one in WA.

I'm not using one today, but I have been using a nice cheap secondhand
Toshiba Portege M405 - probably quite expensive new, but cleared
out for $190 secondhand in 2011, from http://dvcomputers.com.au/ in
Myaree. Convertible high-resolution laptop with a stylus touchscreen,
ran a perfectly normal Linux desktop. I do expect a new series of laptop
to come through soon where a touchscreen is a default, not a rare optional
extra. It's something I'd pay a little extra for, but not a lot. Probably
available on ebay, gumtree.com.au , quokka, etc.

There's a lot of good value Android tablets, including the Nexus 7 and
Nexus 10's. Good value, but as a complement, not as your only machine.
Available lots of places - JB Hifi, Officeworks, etc.

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal