[plug] My "boot loader reinstall" talk last night

Alastair Irvine alastair at al.id.au
Wed Jan 9 14:55:34 WST 2013

Here's a tip: before you reinstall GRUB, make sure you mount /boot.

In my case, GRUB on Debian squeeze was complaining about not being
able to use an LVM partition for the GRUB-root because I'm using LVM
for my Linux-root and /boot (the mount point) is on that filesystem.

On Debian, if your boot loader was not set up correctly during
install, when you get to a rescue command line, I recommend using
"dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc" instead of manually running update-grub
(to generate your config file) and grub-install (to actually setup
grub in the MBR, etc.)

--
Alastair Irvine, Warpspace IT <http://www.warpspace.net/>
Business enquiries: 1300 881744 or guru at warpspace.net
[Linux Counter user #404151; OpenDocument Format Alliance member]