[plug] weird touchpad behaviour

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Tue Jan 29 06:22:56 UTC 2013

On 29/01/13 12:51, Gavin Chester wrote:
> Hi folks,

> Specifically, the pointer becomes erratic, but not constantly erratic,
> just enough to seriously irritate. When pointing at a page link or
> activation button on web pages or an app dialogue the pointer will
> rapidly jump to another spot (up to 50mm away) on lifting of my finger
> to tap a left mouse button click. Sometimes the irritation is compounded
> by the pointer ending up on some other unwanted link just as my finger
> taps down on the touchpad. Grrr. This sure sounds like a driver issue to
> me, since a full reboot solves the problem until the long-running
> 'suspend to ram' cycle is repeated again.

I have all sorts of strange and difficult to reproduce problems directly
associated with suspend to ram (i915 I'm looking at you). The benefits
mostly outweigh the issues though, so I continue to put up with it.

Can you unload and reload the touchpad driver prior to suspend and after
resume?

In a number of cases, this has worked around various driver bugs over
the years.

Regards,
Brad