[plug] Ubuntu question - permission denied.

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jun 3 08:44:44 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jun 03, 2013 at 03:07:44PM +0800, Leon Wright wrote:
> [...] No write perms:
> sudo mount //kitten/media /mnt -o username=leon
> drwxr-xr-x  0 root root    0 Jan 22  2010 music
> [...] Write perms!:
> sudo mount //kitten/media /mnt -o username=leon,uid=leon,gid=leon
> drwxr-xr-x  0 leon leon    0 Jan 22  2010 music

> On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 9:42 AM, corzina <corzina at ya.ru> wrote:
> >  Hi!  > > My name is Dmitry.
[...]
> > *mount //10.1.1.108/Seagate_Expansion_Drive /mnt/wdtvlive -o
> > username=dmitry,password=1,dir_mode=0777,file_mode=0777,iocharset=utf8**
> > *
> > but it return error said that *can't mount read-only device* or *error(13):
> > permission denied*.

Part of the confusion might also be what permissions you see
 * when it's not mounted, when /mnt/wdtvlive is an empty directory; and
 * after the mount, the new permissions which are a combination of what
   the CIFS server has and what mount options you've used.

Try "ls -ld /mnt /mnt/wdtvlive" before and after the mount. Rebooting
should not make a difference.

Try "man mount.cifs" to read about what those options mean, in some cases
the forceuid or forcegid options might help too. Also read the section
"FILE AND DIRECTORY OWNERSHIP AND PERMISSIONS".

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal