[plug] Solaris / SMB authentication

Steve Baker steve at iinet.net.au
Fri Jun 14 06:03:02 UTC 2013

Hi PLUG,

Hope you'll forgive the slight off-topicness. I have a Solaris (Omni-OS,
actually) installation with Napp-IT. I have connected it to my AD domain
and I can see/use the SMB shares if I connect from a logged-in windows
workstation, and I can assign ACLs using Windows Groups etc.

Using smbclient to connect to the SMB share from a Linux system, or any
other mechanism that tries to authenticate directly to the napp-it box,
fails.

I _think_ that what is happening is that when connecting from a windows
box, the Kerberos ticket is handed over and Solaris/SMB accepts it. My
understanding of Kerberos is very limited, is this what is happening?
How can I connect to the SMB shares and get the Solaris box to
authenticate properly?

Doing the same thing on Linux works the way it is supposed to, I don't
have this problem.  I'd like to stick with Napp-IT though if possible...

Regards,
Steve