[plug] [plug-ctte] [Committee] Installing linux on Win 8 PC

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 09:54:55 UTC 2013

On 27/06/13 14:12, Lucas van staden wrote:
> Hey Fred,
>
> You can download one of the popular Linux Distro's, boot of the cd/dvd and
> just follow the install procedure.
> Most modern linux install processes will deal with the windows partition,
> and allow you to dual boot. (and set that up for you)
>
> Not had any experience with Win 8 yet (don't think I will), thus I cannot
> say 100% if dual boot setup works with it out-the-box like that, or if you
> need to do 'stuff' to make it work.
>
> As a first time linux user, I would highly recommend Linux Mint as your
> first step. From experience I had found that windows users find it easy to
> adapt to that distro.
>
> ref: http://www.linuxmint.com/
>
> Welcome to Linux.

Depending on the tablet the secure boot stuff could be either a pain, or will
prevent you using Linux (or anything much else) on that device completely. I
can't confirm this myself, I have no such device, but when Win 8 was released
this was the situation ...

If you bought one of the smaller ARM based ones then I believe it is permanently
hardware locked to prevent anything except updates approved and signed by
Microsoft for your (sic) particular device and the binaries that the (signed by
Microsoft and unmodified or else it will not be boot-able) Win 8 OS permits you
to run because they are signed by Microsoft and unmodified (i.e. you paid for
them via the official app store or whatever it is called in Microsoft land). In
which case the "Welcome to Linux" may unfortunately be a little premature, and
if you do insist on booting Linux then eBay will be your friend.

If you bought an intel based tablet it is apparently possible to turn off the
hardware lock, or at least switch the signing authority or something ... an open
source organisation has paid (on your behalf, aren't you lucky) the secure boot
makers for appropriate codes etc to sign Linux boot systems, and boot disks are
I believe able to use this to boot into Linux. One laptop manufacturer and their
customers still got badly stung by this, since there was a bug in the secure
boot system which completely bricked the laptop if you used this system ... it
required a return to the manufacturer before it would do anything at all. The
permanent locking to Microsoft exclusively is required by Microsoft before they
will certify an ARM device for Windows 8, the removable lock is required for
certification for an intel device. Google will be your friend in this case, and
the solution less drastic than sell it and buy something better. I haven't
tried, I haven't bought (if you can call it that ... not sure who actually
'owns' it given the above) a Microsoft tablet.

Simon