[plug] Win 8 Secure Boot - Can Linux be installed OK?

Jeremy Kerr jk at ozlabs.org
Fri Jun 28 12:07:49 UTC 2013

Hi Frank,

> I have recently bought a Win 8 notebook PC and want to install Linux on it
> so that I can have the choice of using Windows or Linux as the OS.  I
> understand that this is not very straight forward as Win has a security set
> - up which needs to be turned off and my research on the net has not been
> conclusive.  I have not used linux yet but would like to. Can you pse
> advise on this subject?

The major Linux distributions have adopted the "signed shim" approach,
which *should* work with a UEFI secure boot system without any
additional hassle, or having to disable secure boot.

I know that Ubuntu and Fedora have been working on this, and have heard
that OpenSuSE have been too. Any install media for these distros
released this year should work with your system.

If not, post to the list and we'll be able to help!

Cheers,

Jeremy