[plug] Win 8 Secure Boot - Can Linux be installed OK?

Rusty Ramser rusty_ramser at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 29 17:23:06 UTC 2013

If we're talking about an ARM-based tablet (like Windows RT), then you
cannot disable Secure Boot.  Those tablet devices are designed to only run
the OS that's pre-installed.

For all other non-ARM computers (which it sounds like is Frank's case), you
can disable the Secure Boot option in UEFI -- it's part of the specification
to require this capability.

Frank, a number of current distros (meaning, released roughly after April
2013) have valid certificates and are able to install and run successfully
with Secure Boot enabled.  It's best to check whether you're preferred
distro has this as part of their latest release.  If they do not, then
disabling Secure Boot will be necessary.

Cheers.