[plug] RHCE exam

Craig Foster Craig at fostware.net
Thu Mar 7 07:17:31 UTC 2013

I'm a RHCE.
It has opened additional doors for me and is a known certification by medium to large business with Linux systems.

Some interviews have included 'what's a RHCE?', and my response has been something like:-

"It's an exam where you're given an inordinately large list of specs and requirement, some Linux disks, and a computer where you install, configure, and test what could be a real world example of a server with no external feedback until the end.
You're also given actual broken Linux systems, a set of disks, and told to fix them - also with no external feedback until the end.
The certification sorts sys admins with just intelligence and book smarts, from those that are wise to system interactions, are independent, and have practical and applicable knowledge of Linux, in particular Red Hat.
Given the scoring system has a rather high pass mark, a great deal of people fail their first try. I passed on my first. Unfortunately I can't go into intricate detail due to the NDA they have you sign, to prevent braindumps and preserve the difficulty of the exam."
(I usually don't have to explain braindumps, but in case "they're downloadable exams with answers so you can memorise an exam")

Almost every employer has understood that this is a real test of problem solving, working under pressure, and working without any crutches like level-4 escalations (google) or your favourite forums.

I have looked at other certs like LPI however it doesn't seem to be as highly regarded.

Admittedly, LPI hasn't been a priority for me, it's hard enough keeping up with my other vendor certs while balancing family life.

CraigF.