[plug] screen capture/recording software

Arjen Lentz arjen at lentz.com.au
Wed Mar 13 05:25:01 UTC 2013

Hi Jason, Paul

> On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 12:38 PM, Paul Del < p at delfante.it > wrote:
> Can any body recommend any screen/capture recording software for Linux
> So a newbie can make a training video of say using a web browser.
> Something gui and fairly easy for a non-techie to use
> I'm not so worried about the format, more that we can teach a basic
> user to drive it.

Jason Nicholls replied:
> i use gtk-recordmydesktop on ubuntu, works pretty well and allows for
> full-screen or selected area recording. Unfortunately only records to
> ogg format so I generally re-encode to mp4 but otherwise it's good.
> Handles audio too.

I was going to suggest recordmydesktop and its GTK frontend also.

The reason it uses Ogg Theora (Video) and Ogg Vorbis (Audio) formats for its storage is that they are open formats, unencumbered by patents, nasty licences or other blah (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogg for some more background and links).
I reckon that's a good thing, rather than a limitation.

You can always convert to other formats as needed, and there are good (graphical) tools for that as well.

Regards,
Arjen.
--
Exec.Director @ Open Query (http://openquery.com) MySQL services