[plug] screen capture/recording software

Arjen Lentz arjen at lentz.com.au
Wed Mar 13 06:05:52 UTC 2013

Hi Jason

> My "unfortunately" comment was with respect to quality and filesize of
> ogg vs mp4 rather than a statement on anything else.

As I understand, there are difference ways and gradations for compression of Ogg Theora streams, and similar for transcoding to a lower res or other lossy process to get to the size you need for a particular purpose.  (Ogg is just the container format, it does not encode either audio or video itself).

See these links for info, links and tools for this:
 http://v2v.cc/~j/ffmpeg2theora/examples.html (ffmpeg2theora)
 http://free-electrons.com/community/videos/mini-howto/

Ogg formats (both audio and video) were specifically designed to have good quality at low bitrates, so I'm pretty sure you can produce a satisfactory result with the appropriate postprocessing.
Once you are happy with the parameters, that process can be scripted/automated for future recordings.

Cheers,
Arjen.
--
Exec.Director @ Open Query (http://openquery.com) MySQL services