[plug] Printer won't print

Margaret Wood msrwood at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 07:56:40 UTC 2013

I got Mageia 3 installed on Monday, and am using KDE. My printer,
(Epson Stylus Color 600) which is connected via a parallel port
(parallel:/dev/lp0) successfully printed a test page.

Today when I tried to print from Konqueror I got an error dialog.
"The queue 'Epson-Stlylus-Color-600' is not enabled. The reason given
is 'Rendering completed'
To enable it select the 'Enabled' checkbox in the 'Policies' tab for
the printer in the printer administration tool"

I've done that, but it just reverts to unselected whenever I try to
print. I've checked  /var/log/cups/error_log which shows "[Job 9]
Unable to open device file: Permission denied"
/dev/lp0 has group write permission for the group lp, and I've added
myself to that group but it still doesn't work.
I've tried running Konqueror as root but I still get the "Permission
denied" error message.

The contents of  /etc/cups/printers.conf are as follows

# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.5.4
# Written by cupsd on 2013-03-27 12:29
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE WHEN CUPSD IS RUNNING
<DefaultPrinter Epson-Stylus-Color-600>
UUID urn:uuid:b409ce6e-cef8-3c3b-5b9b-a15fbe40fb35
Info Epson Stylus Color 600
MakeModel Epson Stylus Color 600 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.9 Simplified
DeviceURI parallel:/dev/lp0
State Stopped
StateMessage Rendering completed
StateTime 1364358564
Reason paused
Type 8425484
Accepting Yes
Shared Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy stop-printer
</Printer>
printer.conf.20130327 (END)

Any suggestions on how to get it working would be very welcome

Margaret