[plug] File Transfer from remote location

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Fri Oct 4 23:26:14 UTC 2013

On 04/10/13 22:23, Craig wrote:
> Iam using Ubuntu 12.04LTS Desktop.
>
> What  I  would like to do is be able to access files from the home
> computer from a remote location, I have used VNC with great success, but
> VNC is not able to send files.
>
> From a remote location I  would like to access the home computer to be
> able transfer files and edit.
>
> The remote PC would be using Ubuntu 12.04lts as well has the home PC.
>

> I believe they use the term file transfer.
>
> Also I have had success with PC to PC transfer of files using the router
> for home use but no success in operating from a remote location outside
> the home.
>

> Any help well appreciated.
>
> Thanks Craig

If you are not concerned with ultimate privacy dropbox works very well
for the description of what you want to do.  I am currently doing this
for a group in Singapore to place files on a machine here in Perth, they
get processed and dropbox syncs the results for them to retrieve.

For work/home Unison is excellent (I am currently managing ~16G across 3
machines that way) - any of the rsync based systems are good because of
the bandwidth saving.

For a private dropbox I am testing csync2/lsyncd which is looking like
having the potential to replace unison for my use case.

Lastly, what is wrong with opening a terminal in vnc and doing an "scp"
if its only a single/few files? - depending on firewall settings this
could be done either way.

BillK