[plug] Reciprocal privacy policy

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Sat Oct 26 04:00:46 UTC 2013

On 25/10/13 12:31, Steve Boak wrote:

> "by the use of my personal data, (including email contents, location, monetary,
> heath status etc) you are implicitly accepting the terms and conditions that
> follow. If you do not agree with these conditions, then you must not collect,
> use or distribute my personal data in any way or form".
>
> I have to agree to such conditions before I can use their software, why should
> they not have to do the same if they want to use mine?
>
> Thoughts anybody?

As a gesture you might want to do it, but you are unlikely to be in a position
to enforce it, and the "they" you refer to are unlikely to read or bother about
it in any way. I guess any usefulness as a gesture is some kind of reminder to
like minded souls of a bunch of issues you care about. But a question ...

What purpose does it serve to assert that you too wish to join the "this stuff
is owned by me" push? If you want to sell the info, who is your intended
customer? If you want to keep it a secret why are you not getting more serious
about encryption and so forth? If you want some people to see it publicly and
yet insist others must ignore it you are dreaming.

Simon