[plug] Boxgrinder,VMBuilder or OZ

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Mon Dec 1 22:29:09 UTC 2014

If you deploy under AWS you can use a standard image which can boot a
configurable script which can install things that are missing.

I realise that you're not asking about EC2, but I suspect Amazon used
something off the shelf to implement that.

Another way might be to have a deployment server which boots machines
across the network with configured install scripts.

Ultimately it depends on what you actually need to achieve.

A standard install image that you can clone and tweak as required seems to
be the simplest way these days, rather than a custom build for every
deployment.

On 2 December 2014 at 00:41, Alex <alex at spottedmouse.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am looking for a solution to generate centos/rhel based vm images which
> can be deployed on EC2, XEN and VMWare. I found this article which mentions
> a number of such tools.
>
> http://docs.openstack.org/image-guide/content/ch_
> creating_images_automatically.html
>
> I was wondering there are any fellow pluggers who have tried any of these
> already and what their experience was. Boxgrinder hasn't been updates in
> some time and seem to no longer be under active development. VMBuilder
> doesn't seem to support centos/rhel. Oz looks interesting, but also hasn't
> been updated recently.
>
> Any other suggestions are welcome as well.

Onno Benschop

()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..

If you need to know: "What computer should I buy?" http://goo.gl/spsb66

ITmaze   -   ABN: 56 178 057 063   -  ph: 04 1219 8888   -
onno at itmaze.com.au