[plug] Display control

Kevin Shackleton krshackleton at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 10:52:49 UTC 2014

Hi everyone, hope you're all shaping up for a great Christmas, break or no
break.

Here's a fairly abstract problem.  I would demonstrate a solution on e.g. a
Raspberry Pi, and transition to some tougher industrial PC.  It could be
described as a "business situational awareness display"

This PC is to be set up in a central area of a business, driving a fairly
good display.  It will share a folder (or tree if you like).

Other PCs can feed various files onto this central display PC's shared
folders.  The PC then draws these appropriately, switching from single-pane
to 2-pane, 4 pane, maybe 6 or 8 pane to accommodate displaying the data.
The contributor PCs would delete the data to cancel their display.

In the simplest form, the data would be images (screen shots maybe).  More
sophistication could include:
 - some consistency in which pane each contributor is displayed.
 - maybe a rolling sequence could be used instead of, or as well as,
multiple panes.
 - handling other file formats including Office formats.
 - labelling each panel with some text identifying the source.
 - probably lots of other things I have not thought about

I don't really want to get into the capabilities of X, because the
contributors will be dumb to X (i.e. Windows)

This sounds as though it's been done before.  Any clues as to ways to go
about it?

Thanks,

Kevin.