[plug] gigabit switch recommendations

Bill Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Mon Dec 29 09:01:49 UTC 2014

Yep, but still the same problem - you need hardware to run it on.
pfsense have some 3 port alix based hardware but nothing 16 port or
more.  They offer a guide to producing high throughput PC based systems
but its still not cheap/simple.  pfsense has a routing and not switching
focus.

You can get PCI 4 port Intel switch cards for ~$75 - but I have only
seen 1 sockets on a motherboard - a quick search didn't show anything
different so it may be a technical limitation?

BillK