[plug] Auto connect for VPN tunnel on Fedora 20

Ian Kent raven at themaw.net
Sun Mar 2 07:49:46 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-02-28 at 20:17 +0800, Pavel Volský wrote:
> try under root : chkconfig --level 345 openvpn on
> this will turn on openvpn on rulnevels 3, 4 and 5

Except that there is no /etc/init.d/openvpn in Fedora these days.

I see on F17 that there's a systemd service file installed by the rpm
but its name is invalid, it's located
at /usr/lib/systemd/system/openvpn at .service.

I can't see any comments in the repository that talk about how this is
meant to be used either and it looks like the systemd service file is
not part of the tar distribution.

>From other places in the rpm spec file which refer to openvpn.service
and not openvpn at .service it looks like the naming is a hack to stop the
service from getting in the road of desktop usage by NetworkManager.

You could try renaming the service file to get rid of the "@" and then
do "systemctl daemon-reload" and try to start it as normal, aka.
"service openvpn start" or "systemctl start openvpn.service".

Of course "/etc/init.d/openvpn start" can't be used any more.