[plug] MapServer

Kevin Shackleton krshackleton at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 00:57:31 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'm looking at MapServer for a project but I'm reading conflicting
information about setting it up (in Ubuntu).

The installer creates a /home/mapserver directory and puts a bit of demo
stuff (but no index.html) there.  It also creates a 'mapserver' entry in
/etc/apache2/sites-available which points to /usr/local/www/ for the
virtual host, port 8000.

The /etc/apacha2/ports.conf is not modified by the installer to respond to
port 8000.

Documentation suggests:

1. testing the install by calling mapserver without an argument
http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv
which responds with:
No query information to decode. QUERY_STRING is set, but empty.
This is Good - shows that the CGI in /usr/local/www/cgi-bin is called.

2. calling mapserver with a URL that has arguments:
http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv&map= . . .
This responds with:
The requested URL /cgi-bin/mapserv&map= . . was not found on this server.

So it seems it's "working" and it is not actually necessary to edit
anything in Apache to enable port 8000.  But it's not finding a .map file
to parse.  Do I:

 - ignore /home/mapserver and put everything into /usr/local/www/
or
 - create links in /usr/local/www/ to projects in /home/mapserver
or
 - get into the Apache configuration to implement some other setup?

I can probably get the system going in an hour or two of hacking away at
configurations but I would prefer if the configuration to not look like a
badly prepared breakfast.  So I'm looking for some hints from anyone who
uses MapServer . .

Thanks,

Kevin.