[plug] Systemd, good or bad

Steve Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Sun Sep 7 10:02:38 UTC 2014

On 03/09/14 14:56, Alexander wrote:
> Just ran across : http://boycottsystemd.org/ and thought fellow pluggers
> may be interested as well.

I haven't heard much about systemd, so I thought I should do a bit of
reading. At first look, it's a bit like lifting the lid of a beehive
with angry and/or upset bees buzzing from all directions!

However, there does seem to be some very good discussions on the how and
the why if you dig a bit deeper. The developers appear to have done a
good job on documenting it, and Debian has a fairly comprehensive
write-up on why they are adopting it.

I am a long time Debian user and I will probably continue to use it as
it is what I know best. I admit that I am more interested in the
usability, stability and security of my OS than the design philosophy
behind it. Open source is still paramount though.

I obviously don't have the experience of some of you guys and gals who
spent large parts of your life managing the deep levels of Linux
systems, so I will be interested in hearing some real-world stories of
what systemd has meant to your day to day workload. Whether it has made
the job easier or harder, wiped out long standing problems or introduced
new ones.

One thing I haven't been able to find is the windows-like binary
'registry' file for configuration options that keeps being mentioned as
a drawback of systemd. A lot of configuration files seem to have
disappeared or become optional, but other than that I don't see any
obvious changes. Anyone care to enlighten me on this?

It looks like I won't be forced to use systemd just yet anyway, so I
have time to learn more before I pass judgement on something I don't
really understand :-)

Steve

--
Steve Boak, (08) 9756 0662, P.O. Box 240, Nannup, WA 6275