[plug] Proxy Cache Hit Rate

David Godfrey info at sbts.com.au
Tue Dec 22 14:02:26 UTC 2015

I agree,

for a common use case a proxy may now be a liability.
However an intelligent proxy like Varnish, may still be of huge benefit
in the right scenarios.
In particular as a frontend proxy local to a busy website with lots of
fairly static content (eg: a drupal site)

If Varnish is running on the same physical network as the site it is
proxying I believe Varnish can provide the https layer with the drupal
server plain http without compromising security.

There is plenty of evidence that for high traffic sites service fairly
static content there are massive speed improvements and load handling
capability improvements to be had.

Varnish is also good at horizontal scaling by allowing multiple low cost
hardware systems (with lots of ram) to serve more client connections
than the primary server could hope to manage.

There are plenty of articles about Varnish out there, but if you can't
find them let me know. I think I may have one or two bookmarked on
another sytem.

Of course, this is a different use case from a home or business user
running a proxy in an attempt to reduce traffic over their ISP's network

Regards
David G