[plug] gigabit switch recommendations

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Sat Jan 3 11:20:57 UTC 2015

On 31/12/14 05:55, Bill Kenworthy wrote:

> Hmmm - thats something to look into.  As for my comment on limited PCIe
> ports above - a bit of googling shows there are actually quite a few
> multiple PCIe boards out there now.

_loads_. My big machine has 3 4-lane PCIe SAS cards and an Intel 4 port
PCIe card. I had to source a PCI VGA card to make it all work, but that
machine would do 16 Gig-E ports (4x Intel cards) and the motherboard is
a commodity AMD gamer oriented board (ie cheap) and 2 years old.

The big cost would be the 4 port PCIe network cards, but they come up on
ebay from time to time. I seem to remember scoring my two for a couple
of hundred for the pair.

--
Dolphins are so intelligent that within a few weeks they can
train Americans to stand at the edge of the pool and throw them