[plug] Switch speeds

Garry garbuck at westnet.com.au
Tue Jul 21 13:37:41 UTC 2015

Hi all,

This is going to sound a silly question to network gurus, but if you
don't know you don't know..

If you have a 10/100/1000 mb switch and one of the devices is a slower
speed, does that slow the whole thing down?

I am talking consumer grade stuff, unless the good stuff is similar price..

Do I need to ask for a smart switch, managed switch or something else?
Not wanting to do multi domains, multi address ranges or even IP6. No
fancy routing, no vpn from the switch.

I have an AP which dates way back to pre "N" sharing ADSL, but within my
local network I'd like to be running a LOT faster.. I'm sticking with
that AP as it has a SMA connector I connect to a 180 degree waveguide
antenna. The AP is certainly fast enough to share the < 10Mb ADSL.

FWIW I don't know about level 2 vs level 3 protocols (saw that while
trying to work it out) if that gives an idea of my knowledge..

Thanks,

Garry.