[plug] unable to login via gui after update of ubuntu 14

David Buddrige d.buddrige at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 00:43:11 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I run my laptop on ubuntu 14. Last night there were some automatic software updates from ubuntu, so I installed them, however, now I am unable to login via the gui. I can get to a console login using ctrl+alt+f1 and then login with my normal username and password, but whenI attempt to login via the gui, the X seems to crash and then bounce me back to the login screen.

Has anyone else seen this problem? I've been googling for an answer- there was a suggestion that it might be related to permissions on my .Xauthority file, but my user already has ownership permissions on that file. Any thoughts on what might have gone wrong?

thanks heaps all,

David Buddrige

Sent from my iPhone