[plug] unable to login via gui after update of ubuntu 14

David Godfrey info at sbts.com.au
Thu Oct 15 02:07:55 UTC 2015

Hi David,

Another possibility is an issue with X such as nvidia drivers not being
built against the running kernel.

Checking log files for X (~/.xerrors and /var/log/xorg... from memory)
may help.

Also, as you can login on the console, try running

xinit

or

startx

Both of these should start an X session, in the case of xinit you should
just have a single X term in the top left corner of the screen.
NOTE:Focus will follow the mouse, so to type exit in the xterm you will
need to move the mouse over the xterm first.

If X starts up this way then it's not video drivers :)

Regards
David G