[plug] Safely using an untrusted router

Dirk justanothergreenguy at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 05:17:46 UTC 2015

Oops, my error, I think I'm already using PPPoE.  But don't you lose the
firewall of NAT (re unsolicited traffic) in pass-through mode? ...and a
MITM in the modem could still play funny games if your traffic isn't
encrypted from your computer.

Am I wrong in thinking a VPN (set up on the PC, not in the
router) would offer far greater security through an (any) untrusted
router?  I mean, isn't that what is recommended for people logging into
their corporate network remotely (say from a hotel, etc)...?

As far as I know, the RPi incorporated the GPU driver with the OS in the
one big blob that goes on the SD card.  As such, you can verify the
integrity of everything volatile / rewriteable before using it, with a
simple MD5 checksum across the whole SD device. ...but I may be mistaken  :)

Btw, they should make modem routers (and USB controllers, motherboards,
hard drives, etc) with non-volatile firmware, or firmware inserted
via microSD card, so it can be replaced and verified, according to known
checksums.  Am I the only one who would pay for this?  Anyway, I digress.

Cheers, Dirk