[plug] Safely using an untrusted router

Andrew Cooks acooks at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 08:43:05 UTC 2015

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 9:43 AM, Dirk <justanothergreenguy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Cheers for that Pavel.  And thanks again Brad for your input.  You've both
> given me some ideas, although I was hoping for an easy OpenVPN option  :)
>
> If anyone else has any thoughts or suggestions, please let me know!
>
> My internet access is slow enough, so I'm not really excited about pushing
everything through a VPN.

I trust my router. I have a TP-Link TD-8817 modem in bridge mode, connected
to a fit-pc (http://www.fit-pc.com/web/solutions/multilan/) running IPFire (
http://www.ipfire.org/). IPFire tells me I can trust my DNS. IPFire
packages are kept up to date. The modem could conceivably modify the PPPoE
frames in transit, except that it's a dirt cheap consumer product with
little functionality that could be exploitable and it's unlikely to have
enough processing power to do that kind of thing.

There is nowhere safe, only acceptable risks.

a.