[plug] Your laptop could be bricked with a single Linux command

Michael Van Delft michael at hybr.id.au
Tue Feb 2 14:18:29 UTC 2016

That's fascinating I lost a good hour or so reading through that
thread, the GitHub issues and responses etc...

The exact specifics might be different but it's an issue I've seen
crop up a few times before: Should we (that is the Linux community and
more specifically systemd) change our software to work around
manufacturers crappy firmware (by making /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/
read only by default) or should we stick to our guns and demand that
manufactures ship hardware that doesn't bork when we do something that
is allowed by the (UEFI) spec.

I personally lean towards saying this is a manufacturer fault not a
Linux issue and that motherboards that can't post after their EFI
settings have been wiped should be RMAed.

But both sides have merit and it's not really fair to say to users
that have just bricked their device "sure we could have done something
to prevent that but it's not our problem to fix, go speak to the
manufacturer."

It looks like in this case the user got their laptop replaced under
warranty without issues but we can't count on that happening every
time. I expect there would be plenty of devices out there that have
broken EFI implementations and are out of warranty (or even vendors
who would argue that doing anything advanced voids the warranty but
that's a different debate).

--
Michael