[plug] Media player advice

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Fri Feb 24 14:26:03 AWST 2017

G'day all,

I have a peculiar issue I can't find a reasonable solution to. My
desktop is an iMac. This has a combined headphone/TOSLINK output, so I
have it plugged into my home theater receiver with a long TOSLINK cable.

The problem is related to the receiver. Any interruption to the PCM
stream, or a change of sampling frequency causes a pop or thump. And
every media player I've tried thus far has shut the device between songs.

I can "work around" the problem by getting mplayer to decode a directory
of music to stdout (resampling where required to a standard bitrate) and
then piping that into another instance of mplayer (or sox) to play the
music. That way I get an uninterrupted stream of music and no pops. Not
very user friendly though.

I've tried mplayer, vlc, banshee & gtkpod thus far. I run an old
Mint-Debian edition, so it's a bit old and clunky.

I've even had serious thought about running itunes in a Windows VM if
it'll solve the problem.

Is this something _anyone_ has ever bumped up against?

Years ago I wrote some DJ software. That decoded using mpg123 (with some
patches for speed control, queuing and beat-mixing) and that piped
through a custom written output buffer to solve exactly this issue with
some old PCI sound cards. That was back in about 98 and I don't really
want to go back to writing my own software just to play music without pops.

Regards,
Brad