[plug] Self encrypting drives

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Wed Jan 25 08:52:05 AWST 2017

On 24/01/17 23:31, David Godfrey wrote:
> Hi Brad,
>
> I believe this didn't go through last time, something about html content.
> So lets try again

Sorry, yes it did go through and I plonked your snippet into a quick
test file and ran it up.

root at bkmac:/home/brad# ./test.sh
root at bkmac:/home/brad#

root at bkmac:/home/brad# bash -x ./test.sh
+ SEDU=/usr/local/bin/sedutil-cli
+ do_start
+ read -t5 Line
++ /usr/local/bin/sedutil-cli --scan
+ Dev=
+ [[ '' =~ \\/dev\\/ ]]
+ read -t5 Line
+ Dev=Scanning
+ [[ Scanning =~ \\/dev\\/ ]]
+ read -t5 Line
+ Dev=/dev/sda
+ [[ /dev/sda =~ \\/dev\\/ ]]
+ read -t5 Line
+ Dev=/dev/sdb
+ [[ /dev/sdb =~ \\/dev\\/ ]]
+ read -t5 Line
+ Dev=/dev/sdc
+ [[ /dev/sdc =~ \\/dev\\/ ]]
+ read -t5 Line
+ Dev=/dev/sdd
+ [[ /dev/sdd =~ \\/dev\\/ ]]
+ read -t5 Line
+ Dev=No
+ [[ No =~ \\/dev\\/ ]]
+ read -t5 Line

I haven't had time to dig into it to see why it doesn't work though.

For reference, here's the query output.
root at bkmac:/home/brad# sedutil-cli --query /dev/sdb

/dev/sdb ATA Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB                EMT02B6Q
S2R9NXXXXXXXXXX
TPer function (0x0001)
     ACKNAK = N, ASYNC = N. BufferManagement = N, comIDManagement  = N,
Streaming = Y, SYNC = Y
Locking function (0x0002)
     Locked = N, LockingEnabled = Y, LockingSupported = Y, MBRDone = Y,
MBREnabled = Y, MediaEncrypt = Y
Geometry function (0x0003)
     Align = N, Alignment Granularity = 1 (512), Logical Block size =
512, Lowest Aligned LBA = 0
Opal V1.0 function (0x0200)
Base comID = 0x1004, comIDs = 1
SingleUser function (0x0201)
     ALL = N, ANY = N, Policy = Y, Locking Objects = 9
DataStore function (0x0202)
     Max Tables = 9, Max Size Tables = 10485760, Table size alignment = 1
OPAL 2.0 function (0x0203)
     Base comID = 0x1004, Initial PIN = 0x0, Reverted PIN = 0x0, comIDs = 1
     Locking Admins = 4, Locking Users = 9, Range Crossing = N

TPer Properties:
   MaxComPacketSize = 66048  MaxResponseComPacketSize = 66048
   MaxPacketSize = 66028  MaxIndTokenSize = 65540  MaxPackets = 1
   MaxSubpackets = 1  MaxMethods = 1  MaxAuthentications = 5
   MaxSessions = 1  MaxTransactionLimit = 1  DefSessionTimeout = 0

Host Properties:
   MaxComPacketSize = 2048  MaxResponseComPacketSize = 2048
   MaxPacketSize = 2028  MaxIndTokenSize = 1992  MaxPackets = 1
   MaxSubpackets = 1  MaxMethods = 1

Regards,
Brad