[plug] Allow SSH but deny SFTP?

John McCabe-Dansted gmatht at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 17:23:03 AWST 2017

Why do you want to stop sftp? Do you want to stop "ssh cat\ remotefile >
local file" as well?

If you just to discourage users  from accidentally violating some anti sftp
policy, something like `chmod 750 /usr/bin/sftp` might work

This clearly wouldn't prevent the user from using other ways of using their
ssh account as a filesystem. If you want to discourage that you could try
limiting bandwidth to 64Kbps.

On 20 July 2017 at 17:04, Andrew Furey <andrew.furey at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all, long time no post...
>
> I have a requirement for users to have full user-level SSH access (their
> profile then launches a full-session application and logs out at the end;
> they don't have shell access within this application so it's safe enough to
> just allow as normal).
>
> I want to restrict ability to use SFTP to trundle through the filesystem.
> However I would like to still allow it for root (grand prize being other
> specified users if possible too) so I can't just turn the Subsystem itself
> off... can I?
>
> I don't think I can use the internal-sftp and then chroot it (which would
> probably also be sufficient) as the requirement for 755 root:root on the
> home directory and above will most likely break the intended application.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Andrew
>
> --
> Linux supports the notion of a command line or a shell for the same
> reason that only children read books with only pictures in them.
> Language, be it English or something else, is the only tool flexible
> enough to accomplish a sufficiently broad range of tasks.
>                           -- Bill Garrett

John C. McCabe-Dansted